Outcome of DPM Prak Sokhonn's Visit to Viet Nam
AKP Phnom Penh, November 29, 2018 --
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation have made public a press release on the outcomes of the official visit of its Minister H.E. Prak Sokhonn to Viet Nam on Nov. 26-27.
The full press release dated Nov. 29 reads as follows:
"His Excellency Prak Sokhonn, Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of the Kingdom of Cambodia, paid an official visit to the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam from 26-27 November 2018. This visit aimed to further strengthen and expand the existing friendship, solidarity and comprehensive cooperation between Cambodia and Viet Nam for the harmony and wellbeing of the peoples of the two countries as well as to prepare the upcoming Official Visit of Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo Hun Sen, Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Cambodia, to the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam in the near future.
His Excellency Deputy Prime Minister paid a courtesy call on H.E. Mr. Nguyen Xuan Phuc, Prime Minister of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam. During the call, H.E. Deputy Prime Minister congratulated the success of the 6th Plenary Session of the 14th National Assembly of Viet Nam on 23 October 2018 during which H.E. Mr. Nguyen Phu Trong, Secretary-General of the Communist Party of Viet Nam, was elected as President of Viet Nam. He also praised that under the leadership of the Communist Party of Viet Nam, the country is stable and has achieved economic growth; soft and hard infrastructure has been developed and the people’s living condition is steadily improved, particularly, Viet Nam is playing more important role in regional and international levels. H.E. Deputy Prime Minister is convinced that with such development dynamics, Viet Nam would eventually attain its industrialization and modernization goal.
Reciprocally, H.E. Mr. Nguyen Xuan Phuc highly valued the long-standing relations between the two countries, called on both countries to further nurture these relations for the best interests of the two peoples and expressed Vietnam’s readiness for the visit of Samdech Techo Prime Minister and His Majesty Norodom Sihamoni, the King of Cambodia, next month.
His Excellency Deputy Prime Minister had a productive bilateral meeting with his counterpart, H.E. Mr. Pham Binh Minh. Both Ministers expressed their high satisfaction that the frequent exchanges of visits of the Heads of States and Governments of the two countries are of significance to further foster the bilateral relations and comprehensive cooperation between the two countries.
Both sides welcomed the positive growth of the two-way trade volume and agreed to early conclude the Border Trade Agreement and the Arrangement for Bilateral Trade Enhancement between Cambodia and Viet Nam with the view to reaching the trade target of US$5 billion in 2020.
For Agricultural Cooperation, His Excellency Deputy Prime Minister appreciated the Government of Viet Nam for encouraging the Vietnamese state-run and private companies to buy Cambodia’s agricultural products and requested Vietnamese side to continue doing so, which will help strengthen people-to-people and business-to-business relations.
In term of security cooperation, both sides are pleased with the current cooperation and agreed to closely coordinate in exchanging information on natural disaster, smuggling, drug-related crime, trans-national crime and illegal logging so as to rescue victims, prevent and combat against criminal offenses. They also reaffirmed their policies of not allowing any hostile forces to use their respective territory to sabotage the security and intervene in the domestic affairs of the other.
On border issue, both sides highly appreciated the Joint Commission on Demarcation and Abornement for Land Boundary of both countries for completed work (84%) on land border demarcation and marker planting. They also committed to closely work to resolve the remaining 16% un-demarcated land border.
Both sides agreed to commence cooperation between the National Institute of Diplomacy and International Relations (NIDIR) of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of Cambodia and the Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Viet Nam.
Besides, both sides agreed to further strengthen cooperation in education, culture, tourism and transportation.
Both Foreign Ministers also exchanged views on regional and global issues of common concerns and interests and also expressed their mutual supports within regional and international frameworks."
By C. Nika