Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway Construction to Complete as Planned
AKP Phnom Penh, November 23, 2020 --
Ministry of Public Works and Transport has confirmed that the construction of the country’s first-ever expressway will complete as planned despite the COVID-19 crisis.
H.E. Vasim Sorya, Spokesperson of the Ministry of Public Works and Transport, said late last week that as of November, the construction is 27 percent complete and the construction process has reportedly affected, slowing down the construction work due to COVID-19.
“Generally, the construction does not seem to be affected, but the construction firm's staff, who had left for China, have not come back yet," he said, mentioning the delay in transportation of some construction materials due to the pandemic.
Anyway, the firm has been committed to complete the construction as planned, he added.
The US$2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway project has been developed by the China Road and Bridge Corporation (CRBC). Scheduled to open by March 2023, the expressway is divided into four lanes with a total length of 190 kilometres across five cities and provinces.
By Chea Vannak